Civil engineering,college of engineering,university of basrah
Civil Engineering ,Collage of Engineering ,University of Basrah,Basrah,Iraq
Civil Engineering,College of Engineering,University of Basrah,Basrah, Iraq.
Civil Engineering,College of Enginee, University of Basrahring, Basrah, Iraq.
Document Type : Review Paper
Reverse osmosis (RO) is a membrane filtering system that uses a semipermeable membrane to remove contaminants from water before sending the purified water on to be used in a number of settings, such as households and factories. The goal of this study is to investigate the process of reverse osmosis as well as the current status of the membrane materials that are used in the process. These membrane materials are the driving elements in the process. This review also includes a discussion on the cleaning of membranes, the utilization of RO systems for a number of applications, and new advancements in the field of reverse osmosis. In the process of cleaning water, reverse osmosis, also known as RO, is a potent technique that makes use of a semi-permeable membrane to remove hazardous bacteria as well as dissolved particles. This technique is utilized on a regular basis for the purpose of desalinating seawater for use in drinking, agricultural, and industrial applications.
- M. Warsinger, E. W. Tow, K. G. Nayar, and L. A. Maswadeh, "Energy efficiency of batch and semi-batch (CCRO) reverse osmosis desalination," Water research, vol. 106, pp. 272-282, 2016.
- McMordie Stoughton, X. Duan, and E. M. Wendel, "Reverse osmosis optimization," Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)2013.
- Baghel and B. Singh, "Emerging Potable Water Technologies," Defence Life Science Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 113-126, 2016.
- J. Wimalawansa, "Purification of contaminated water with reverse osmosis: effective solution of providing clean water for human needs in developing countries," International journal of emerging technology advanced engineering, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 75-89, 2013.
- Fritzmann, J. Löwenberg, T. Wintgens, and T. Melin, "State-of-the-art of reverse osmosis desalination," Desalination, vol. 216, no. 1-3, pp. 1-76, 2007.
- -N. Wang and R. Wang, "Reverse osmosis membrane separation technology," in Membrane separation principles and applications: Elsevier, 2019, pp. 1-45.
- Jiang, Y. Tu, X. Li, and H. Li, "Application of reverse osmosis in purifying drinking water," in E3S web of conferences, 2018, vol. 38, p. 01037: EDP Sciences.
- Djebedjian, H. Gad, I. Khaled, and M. Rayan, "Reverse osmosis desalination plant in Nuweiba City (case study)," in Proceedings of IWTC11, 2007, pp. 315-330.
- Masse, D. Massé, Y. Pellerin, and J. Dubreuil, "Osmotic pressure and substrate resistance during the concentration of manure nutrients by reverse osmosis membranes," Journal of membrane Science, vol. 348, no. 1-2, pp. 28-33, 2010.
- Binnie, M. Kimber, and H. Thomas, "Overview of water treatment," in Basic Water Treatment, vol. 473: ICE Publishing, 2017, pp. 27-44.
- T. Do Thi, T. Pasztor, D. Fozer, F. Manenti, and A. J. Toth, "Comparison of desalination technologies using renewable energy sources with life cycle, PESTLE, and multi-criteria decision analyses," Water, vol. 13, no. 21, p. 3023, 2021.
- G. Wenten, "Reverse osmosis applications: Prospect and challenges," Desalination, vol. 391, pp. 112-125, 2016.
- Schouppe, "Membrane technologies for water applications," in "European commission, Directorate General for Research, Belgium," 2010, Available: https://data.europa.eu/doi/10.2777/25163.
- Membrane cleaning methods. Available: https://www.lenntech.com/membrane-cleaning.htm
- Charcosset, "Classical and Recent Developments of Membrane Processes for Desalination and Natural Water Treatment," Membranes, vol. 12, no. 3, p. 267, 2022.
- A. Tarboush, H. Arafat, T. Matsuura, and D. Rana, "Recent advances in thin film composite (TFC) reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes for desalination," Journal of Applied Membrane Science Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, 2009.
- Raluy, L. Serra, and J. J. D. Uche, "Life cycle assessment of desalination technologies integrated with renewable energies," vol. 183, no. 1-3, pp. 81-93, 2005.
- Schoeman and A. J. D. Steyn, "Nitrate removal with reverse osmosis in a rural area in South Africa," vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 15-26, 2003.
- Aende, J. Gardy, and A. Hassanpour, "Seawater desalination: A review of forward osmosis technique, its challenges, and future prospects," Processes, vol. 8, no. 8, p. 901, 2020.
- P. Lee, T. C. Arnot, and D. Mattia, "A review of reverse osmosis membrane materials for desalination—Development to date and future potential," Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 370, no. 1-2, pp. 1-22, 2011.
- B. Asif and Z. Zhang, "Ceramic membrane technology for water and wastewater treatment: A critical review of performance, full-scale applications, membrane fouling and prospects," Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 418, p. 129481, 2021.
- J. Schunke, G. A. Hernandez Herrera, L. Padhye, and T.-A. Berry, "Energy recovery in SWRO desalination: current status and new possibilities," Frontiers in Sustainable Cities, vol. 2, p. 9, 2020.
- H. Hailemariam, Y. C. Woo, M. M. Damtie, B. C. Kim, K.-D. Park, and J.-S. Choi, "Reverse osmosis membrane fabrication and modification technologies and future trends: A review," Advances in colloid interface science, vol. 276, p. 102100, 2020.
- Burlace and P. Davies, "Fouling and fouling mitigation in batch reverse osmosis: review and outlook," Desalination Water Treatment, vol. 249, pp. 1-22, 2022.
- M. Rashidi, I. Mahariq, N. Murshid, S. Wongwises, O. Mahian, and M. A. Nazari, "Applying wind energy as a clean source for reverse osmosis desalination: A comprehensive review," Alexandria Engineering Journal, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 12977-12989, 2022.
- Zhao, L. Duan, X. Liu, and Y. Song, "Forward Osmosis Technology and Its Application on Microbial Fuel Cells: A Review," Membranes, vol. 12, no. 12, p. 1254, 2022.
- J. Feria-Díaz, F. Correa-Mahecha, M. C. López-Méndez, J. P. Rodríguez-Miranda, and J. Barrera-Rojas, "Recent desalination technologies by hybridization and integration with reverse osmosis: A review," Water, vol. 13, no. 10, p. 1369, 2021.
- Djebedjian, H. E. Gad, I. Khaled, and M. About Rayan, "An Experimental investigation on Reverse Osmosis Desalination system," in Engineering conference, Sharam El-Sheikh, Egypt, 2006, pp. M-99-111.